Trash Talk: Recent Winter Skicare Empties (AB & Western) - Oct/Nov 2017 - Jan 2018

3:50 AM

Hello, my dear peaches! I've graduated from having a Sephora bag for my product empties under my makeup desk, to a bigger plastic container that sits in my bathroom. As always, once it's full, it's time to reflect and look at my trash~




😍 - love it, would rp multiple times
😎 - it's cool, maybe rp/already rp
😕 - maybe rp  but maybe if on sale or for a review
💩 - nrp



the goods aka products mentioned:

  • kose softymo deep cleansing oil refill 😍
  • gatsby mandom bifesta cleansing sheet moist 😎
  • neutrogena ultra gentle hydrating cleanser 😕
  • holika holika soothing aloe gel 😎😕
  • hada labo gokujun moist lotion refill 😍
  • it's skin mini bebe hand cream 😍😎
  • belif hungarian water essence 😎😕
  • konjac body sponge 😕
  • biore uv aqua rich watery essence sunscreen 😕
  • biore uv aqua rich watery gel sunscreen 😕
  • palmers eventone suncare baby cocoa butter moisturizing sunscreen lotion 😕
  • coola mineral sunscreen natural bb cream 😕💩
  • etude house pink vital water cream 😎
  • etude house pink vital water facial toner mini size 😍😎
  • muji cotton squares 💩
  • holika holika lazy & joy photo ready cushion no. 21 😍😍 
  • nest mini rollerball - midnight fleur 😍😍😍😍😍
  • la colours nail polish remove pads - peach 😍😍😍😍 
  • neutrogena rainbath shower gel - fresh plum 😎
  • olay fresh outlast invigorating body wash - peach 😍😎
  • biore u peach body wash 😍😍
  • ichikami silky smooth rice bran shampoo 😍
  • philosophy 3-in-1 body wash/shampoo - orange pineapple smoothie 😕
  • dove fresh & floral dry shampoo 😎
  • suave dry shampoo 😎
  • batiste dry shampoo 😎
  • garnier flat iron perfector straightening mist💩
  • garnier anti-humidity smoothing milk 😕💩
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
skincare aka the most important category

A~~~h, my dare I say it? HG-level Kose Softymo always seems to effortlessly remove all my face makeup in a few seconds, with minimal rubbing. This includes the extra-hard-to-remove, extra strong Heroine Make Super Waterproof Mascara, usually requires an extra layer of Softymo to really loosen those mascara fibers, but it sure works! I usually buy the refill pack--I've been reusing a bottle I bought sometimes at the end of 2015 since a refill usually lasts me about five to six months! I still want to try the Speedy version, in the pink bottle.

From some trip late last year to Uwajimaya, I had bought Gatsby Mandom Bifesta Cleansing Sheet Moist, mostly out of curiosity. I also wanted to find some moist cleansing wipes that weren't necessarily for removing makeup, but for a refresher during the summer, or for the AM. A bonus would be ones that I could use when traveling or for when I stay over at my boyfriend's apartment. The verdict: a Good Idea!! These were $9 (at the time) and contained 46 wipes--a bargain! I would RP, and plan to, if I see them the next time that I'm down south.

In hopes that it would be a gentle cleanser that I use use in the AM, I recently picked up Neutrogena's Ultra Gentle Hydrating Cleanser, while I took a break from CosRX's Low pH Cleanser (to give myself a break and also to find other options?). It was an okay idea; I had some thought that it could be a loose dupe of Glossier's Milky Jelly Cleanser (it's close but not really lol) and enjoyed it for the most part, until I happened to use a different first cleanser, and experienced some burning with this cleanser--not so gentle!

Not quite an empty, but I'm including these two different sizes of Holika Holika Soothing Aloe Gel in this post because they past the expiry dates!






Good ol' Hada Labo makes an entrance in this round of Trash Talk, with yet another refill pouch! Gokujun Lotion is the bomb dot com and I will always include it in my routine, for a long, long while. I love how I can use this hydrating toner (lotion) throughout the year, in a "no-frills" type of routine.

A couple of months ago, I semi-gifted my boyfriend the rest of my tube of It's Skin Mini Bebe Hand Cream when he commented at work of how dry his hands were (mine are always dry, too). I gave him this and when I was at his apartment recently, I noticed that it was now an empty! :~D He liked it a lot, so I'm thinking about giving him a hand cream or two, sometime soon.


I've had this sample size of Hungarian Water Essence from belif's Travel Kit that I bought...a good while ago...! I finally finished it!!! I would RP, but it's a bit...pricey, if y'know what I mean....

Pretty self-explanatory but I used an off-brand konjac body sponge until it didn't really...hold up well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sunscreen

Both of these Biore UV Aqua Rich sunscreens (the essence and gel) are past their expiry dates! The Watery Essence was my first Japanese sunscreen, and I later bought myself the Gel type but in retrospect, both kind of suck for dry skin types--probably better suited for oily skin folks (because of the alcohol!). I'd only RP a different type within the Biore sunscreen family.

For the other two, I really could give two sh*ts about them! The Coola sunscreen sat around in my sample stash box for a while (I hated the formula); it was more or less a tinted sunscreen that was trying to be a BB cream but failed. The Palmers Eventone Suncare Baby Cocoa Butter Moisturizing Sunscreen Lotion was purely out of curiosity--too much white cast....



I reviewed Etude House's Pink Vital Water Trial Kit a while back, and I liked it so much that I got my mum interested in it. She ended up liking the Pink Vital Water Cream a lot after I had her use the rest of my sample size, liked it so much that I've bought her one tub (this empty) and a second jar as a back up.

She also liked the toner! I plan to buy the toner myself and serum, but I'm still eyeing the wash off pack from this lovely affordable line!

A long while back (late 2015? early 2016?) I ordered some well-sought after Muji Cotton Squares and intially, I like them...but this was definitely long before I had stumbled upon the softer sister, Shiseido's Cotton Squares. I will never look back.

Some enjoy the rough texture but I definitely won't RP.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
makeup

I only have a few empties for makeup this time around, but I've been thinking of going full steam on #projectpan for both makeup and skincare--to use things up!

Most recently, I went through another refill of my beloved Gudetama cushion, from Holika Holika. The coverage is decent and it seems to last throughout the day for me, in the dry PNW winter and also the wonky, unpredictable (sweaty) summer. It's also cheaper, ranging from USD$6~$8 over on eBay. The only annoying part is that the ribbon to the matching puff always seems to break, and come cleanly apart from the puff portion--I've had this happen with my newer refill that I'm currently using, too.

Surprisingly, I discovered one of my favorite scents that actually works with my body chemistry, stays and smells good. NEST is a bit pricey for me so I now keep a look out for the smaller sized roller ball sets, only so I will actually use it and get through the bottles! This is the scent, Midnight Fleur, and it smells heavenly! Sephora describes this scents as one that "create[s] a captivating fragrance that transitions well from day to evening" with combined notes of Moroccan tea, Kashmir wood, black cardamom, wild fig and bergamot.  😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

Basically the epitome of #goodideas is LA Colours Nail Polish Remove Pads. I like the peach scent the most, but there are other scents. Best part: they're cheap! I find them for $1.99 at my local Fred Meyer/Kroger, but I've spotted a (newer?)variation at Walmart, for .99. These small, pre-soaked pads are for removing nail polish on the go, or for those who dislike the smell of acetone (I hate it!). Two or three pads at most will remove ten fingers; worth of polish, but sometimes one pad is enough--there is oil in the pad that also will moisturize your fingers, without acetone. 😍😍😍 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
body wash

I'm thinking of changing my social media handle to reflect my love of peaches, but I digress. I picked up Olay's Fresh Outlast Invigorating Body Wash about four or five months ago and enjoyed it. The gel body wash smelled super sweet like peaches, one that pleasantly lingered. I would definitely RP, if I could find it again. 😍😎




biore u peach body wash has been a cut-and-come-again for almost every single one of my Uwajimaya hauls. I enjoy the fact that this body is low pH and leaves my body soft while smelling sweet like peaches and that it's affordable. Always RP. 😍😍

At some point last year??? I picked up Philosophy's 3-in-1 body wash/shampoo thing, in Orange Pineapple Smoothie, from Marshalls or TJ Maxx--one of the two (I forget which it was). I liked the smell but it felt stripping on my body, so no way would I ever RP, even if I were to find it cheap.

Around the same time (sometime last summer?) I also picked this giant ass 1182mL (40 fl oz) bottle of Neutrogena Rainbath Shower Gel, in Fresh Plum. Costco really delivered on this one, but as I got to the last quarter or so of the bottle, I was growing tired of it and just wanted to finish it up! 😎😎

The musky fruit scent drew me into buying it and as I used more (towards like the halfway mark), I naturally grew so bored using this body wash. I had to force myself to use the second half, and slowly the last third....the last fourth, until it was completely empty. Next time, I'll buy a much smaller bottle!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
hair

I bought this Ichikami shampoo and conditioner set sometime early last year or the year before, and I finally got through it. Like, no joke! The is the deep moisture version; it contains several Japanese "premium" extracts like rice (including rice embryo) and various amino acids,  as well extracts from apricot oil, azuki, sakura, tsubaki, cypress tree and soap nut extracts.  The conditioner is much the same, ingredient-wise, and are silicone free. 😍😍

It took me all this time to actually get through it, but I definitely wouldn't repurchase this specific type, even though I liked it. I just prefer the rice bran "nameraka" type (the ones in the white and black bottles) at the moment.



Speaking of which, I also finished my bottle of the Silky Smooth Rice Bran Shampoo (in the white bottle) and since I believe there's a renewal of the bottle (potentially the formula, too), I thought I'd finally say good bye to this bottle and not buy any more refills. I plan to only buy a new bottle if a) it's in stock at Uwajimaya or more hopefully, b) on sale on Amazon. I might pick up the conditioner at that time too. 😍😍

In a desperate attempt to find an affordable treatment for the lengths/ends of my hair, I bought Garnier's Whole Blend Hydrating Shampoo. I had a coupon that saved a buck or two, so I picked up the Cocount Water & Vanilla Milk type, in the blue bottle. For reference, I am naturally brown-haired but I am a bottle blonde, currently purple with about 5~6 in. of regrowth. In between any bleaching on my roots, I tend to stay cheap and use US drugstores brands of conditioner on my ends, to keep them soft and minimize damage from the bleaching.



In the past two (or so) months, I've went through three dry shampoos! Suave is very affordable for me but I am growing to dislike the perfumed scent. Surprisingly, Dove has become an unexpected favourite with its growing line of affordable and accessible dry shampoos. The scent of the Fresh & Floral version is pretty nice, but there is a white cast shown on the scalp--not too good if you have darker hair or root regrowth.


Batiste's range of dry shampoos really spark me interest but I haven't bothered to try them all yet. I generally wait to buy them at TJ Maxx at a discount, or now at Walmart, for around $5 something. I scored this scent around Christmas and wish I could find it again--hopefully it'll be back next year!

For styling, while these two Garnier products are not truly empties, I'm bidding a well deserved "good bye"! to both and sending them on their way....to my trash!! The Flat Iron Perfector Straightening Mist 😕 does exactly what the titles suggests--I just don't like the scent anymore! I'd rather something smell light and fruit than such a heavy perfumed "fruity" scent. Plus, the mist always seems to dry out my hair, even if I wait up to 10 mins before using my flat iron after spritzing over my locks.



I held onto the Anti-Humidity Smoothing Milk much longer than I expected to (I liked it) but it felt too easy to squeeze too much product in efforts to get the product out of the bottle! The conditioning treatment worked best on the ends of my hair, but I just try to try something different. 😕😕

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
a bonus: some expired sheet masks!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Goodnight, and thanks for reading about my recycling!

Time to take out the trash~~

.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contributors